Wow, it seems like everyone is talking about WordPress. What’s the big deal? Why WordPress?
Sebo has been building websites since 2004. It’s amazing how things have changed. In the early days, you would make a website by coding HTML into a text editor like Notepad, and then upload it to your website. If you ever moved from 123 Main St in Orem to 456 Center St in Orem, you had to go back to every single HTML file and edit your address. PHP came along and made that process much easier.
Then, some Content Management Systems started to become popular. There was a quite a bit of a debate in the late 2000’s whether WordPress, Joomla, or Drupal were the ways to go. Sebo actually built our own CMS called PageMentor way back then. It was much better than any of those tools.
Cool WordPress Stats
However, over the years, we kept a close eye on all the CMS tools on the market. Pretty soon, WordPress simply started taking over the web world. If you search Google for phrases like “WordPress infographic” or “WordPress cool stats”, you will come across many amazing stats. At this point (end of 2016):
- Over 25% of ALL websites are powered by WordPress, including over 30% of the Top 1,000 sites in the world. It’s not just for starter sites!
- Of the sites that use a Content Management System – or a CMS – (WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, Magento, etc), WordPress powers over 58% of those sites. The 2nd most popular CMS is Joomla at 6.6%.
- The New York Times, CNN, Forbes, GM, UPS, eBay, Sony, Best Buy, TechCrunch, Microsoft News all use WordPress.
- One thing that makes WordPress so powerful is that there are now over 40,000 FREE WordPress plugins (and 1,000’s of premium plugins)
- WordPress.com actually gets almost twice as many visits each month to their site than Apple!
- Over 409 million people view a WordPress site each month, and they view over 22 billion pages each month
- There are over 1,700 new posts made on WordPress sites every single minute of every day!
- On average, there are approximately 50,000 new WordPress websites added daily!
The options, themes and variety of plugins make it an amazing tool. In 2010, Sebo transitioned completely away from PageMentor and switched over to WordPress exclusively.
How Much Does WordPress Cost?
WordPress is an Open Source system, which means WordPress itself is free. In summary, your website costs include your domain name (about $15 to $20 per year) and your hosting (about $120 per year). Everything else just makes life easier. For example, you might purchase a theme for $60 to make designing your site easier. You might have to pay $20 a year for a plugin or two. If you have an e-commerce site, you will need to pay for an SSL to help ensure your checkout process is secure. But again, WordPress is completely free.
Learn More About Building Websites with Sebo Marketing
- WordPress Template Websites
- E-Commerce Websites
- Website Pricing
- Website Portfolio
- Custom Websites by Sebo Development
- Sebo Marketing focuses on driving traffic to existing sites and building quick, data gathering websites. As long as we can start with a Theme and customize it for your needs (think about building a house from existing plans), we can help.
- In 2015, Bruce sold off the Custom Website portion of Sebo. If you have a bigger budget and want to design everything from scratch (think about building a house with an architect), please talk to the guys at SiteSmash.com